My Travel Essentials

My Travel Essentials

I'm not a big traveller but I do love going away on little trips here and there. When I do go away I ensure I plan everything down to a tee. I always write lists of stuff I plan on taking with me or what I need to purchase for my trip to ensure I don't forget anything important. I have a special notebook in which I write everything important in such as flight, travel and hotel details and other important information. Some people may think it's a bit extreme but if I don't have plans and lists, my anxiety goes through the roof. 

So what are my must have travel essentials that I pack when I head away on a trip?

Hand Luggage 
  • Passport - I always use my passport when I'm jetting off somewhere, even if it's to England. I could fly using my driving license as I always carry it with me anyway but I didn't pay big money for my passport to lie in a drawer being un-used.
  • Purse/Money - Obviously you can't go away without having some sort of money or currency with you. Some people choose to use a credit card or their bank card but I prefer to have actual money on my persons. When I travel to England, annoyingly I have to have Bank of England money as for some strange reason some places don't accept Ulster Bank or Bank of Ireland money even though it's still British Sterling money. If I'm heading further afield (which isn't very often), I always try and get my euros in advance when the exchange rate is good. Sadly at the time of writing this, the exchange rate is pretty rubbish.
  • Phone - I would be lost without my phone. I'm pretty addicted to social media and updating my friends and family what I'm up too. Some may say I spend too much time on my phone though.
  • USB Power Bank and lead - There's nothing worse than the battery on your phone dying so a power bank is handy to give your battery some juice when it needs it. Obviously it needs to be charged too for it to work.
  • Sunglasses - This would depend on the time of year I'm heading off but I've been away in the Autumn and the sun has been shining so sunglasses are always good to carry with me. 
  • Sweets - Sweets for the flight are always good to stop my ears from popping. Sadly they don't always work but I do like a good sweet. Usually I take some Haribo or something chocolatey with me to munch on.
  • Tissues - Annoyingly my nose runs quite a lot so tissues is a necessity for me to carry around. Handy for any little accidents or you use a public toilet and find there is no toilet roll.
  • Kindle - Kindles are so handy if you don't want to carry around several heavy books. Imagine me trying to carry some of the Harry Potter books around with me? So I have them all on my Kindle with loads of other books to keep me occupied while waiting on a flight or on the flight. I can't read on buses or in cars though.
  • Ipod - I'm probably one of very few people who still uses an Ipod to listen to music rather than a phone. I would rather keep the space on my phone for photos and social media. I'd say I'd have over 1000 songs on my ipod and plenty of good music to keep me entertained on any journey. Of course I have a Disney playlist on there which will no doubt get me all excited when I go to Disneyland Paris in the summer.
  • Notebook - Like I said above, I always write all my trip information down in a notebook so I carry my notebook with me in my hand luggage. It also comes in handy if I want to write down things while I'm away such as what all I spent my money on and stuff. 
  • Camera - I love taking photos and I do use my phone quite a lot but I do love using my camera too. I am trying to vlog a lot more and aim to vlog my up and coming trips to Blackpool and Disneyland Paris. Along with my camera, I'll have spare batteries and memory cards.
  • Deodorant - I do not want to be that person that everyone complains about having bad BO in queues. I tend to get quite sweaty when going through airport security due to nerves so it's good to have some deodorant handy.
  • Lip balm - I sometimes find that flying makes my lips quite dry so I always carry a lip balm around with me.
  • Clear bag for liquids - All liquids have to be put into a clear bag for going through security and they have to be under 100ml. I have one I purchased from the airport years ago.
 Wash Bag
Apparently I carry far too much stuff with me in my wash bag but everything I carry with me is everything I use daily.
  • Shampoo and Conditioner - Obvious reasons to wash my hair as I don't really trust hotel shampoo and conditioner.
  • Heat spray for my hair - I straighten my hair a lot so need to protect it some how. 
  • Talc powder
  • Shower gel - Not all hotels have shower gel so it's good to take my own as I insist on having a shower every day.
  • Cleanser, toner and moisturiser - I use these three items before applying my make up.
  • Cotton pads - I use these for my cleanser, toner and miceller water.
  • Face cloth and face wash - to wash my face daily.
  • Miceller water  - to remove my make up.
  • Primer - I apply this before applying my make up.
  • Tinted moisturiser, foundation and powder foundation - My make up I wear daily.
  • Foundation sponges - for applying foundation and power foundation.
  • Concealer -  for covering all those annoying spots and blemishes.
  • Mascara - In case I feel like wearing some as I don't wear it every day.
  • Tissues (see above)
  • Hairband, hair bobbles, hair clip and bobby pins.
  • Head sore - In case I get a headache.
  • Deodorant, perfume and body spray 
  • Comb and brush
  • Toothbrush and toothpaste
  • Blusher and blusher brush
  • Hand cream
  • Eye shadow pallet and brush
  • Eye make up wipes and make up wipes
  • Tablets - Neurofen which are the only painkillers that I can actually take.
  • Batteries - for my camera
  • Shower cap - So I can have a shower without wetting my hair.
  • Dry Shampoo - I wash my hair every other day but I use dry shampoo if my hair looks a bit greasy.
Other Travel Essentials 
  • Phone and Ipod chargers.
  • Travel plugs - If I'm heading out of the UK/Ireland.
  • Umbrella - There's always a good chance of rain in the UK/Ireland.
  • Mini first aid kit - I'm quite accident prone so always good to have one.
  • My favourite cuddly toys - I'm a big kid and always take at least 2 of my favourite cuddly toys with me when I stay away from home as a little comfort.
  • Straighteners - I usually have my hair down and straight.
  • Travel hairdryer - The majority of hotels have hairdryers but I take mine in case the two of us in the room need to use one at once.
  • Towel - Hotels always have towels but for some reason I do like having my own. It comes in handy if the hotel has a swimming pool and I get to use it.
  • Snacks - I carry sweets in my hand luggage but usually I have the likes of Pringles in my suitcase.
  • Pyjamas - Obviously to sleep in.
  • Underwear and I always take a few extra pairs.
  • Clean clothes - Depending on how long I'm going away for will depend on how much clothes I take with me. I try for an outfit per day. Mainly because I'm quite messy and end up with food down my tops and on my jeans. Ill take a few extra tops too.
  • Comfortable Shoes - Usually are my converse but depending on time of year I go away will obviously depend on what other shoes I take with me. 
  • Coat/Jacket - Depending on what time of year depends on what sort of coat or jacket I take. 
  • Sun cream - If I go away in summer this is a necessity for me as I'm pale skinned with quite a few moles that need protection. I don't want my holiday or trip to be ruined by me getting sun burnt as I burn easily.
  • Extra sunglasses - I learnt my lesson after my Florida trip in 2002 when my sunglasses broke that it's good to take a spare pair just in case a pair breaks. Mine are only from Primark and cost me £1 but still. 
  • Shopping bag - In the UK and Ireland we have to pay for our plastic bags so I always carry a shopper bag or spare plastic bags with me.  
 

Comments