My Look back at 2019

How on earth are we in 2020 already? Where the heck did 2019 disappear too? I feel like I've blinked and missed half of it. So what about 2019? Well it had it's ups and it's downs just like every other year. It was relatively quiet and thankfully had very little drama which I was very happy about.

So here is my look back at the year that was 2019

January
Simon and I didn't have the best start to the year, as we were both sick over Christmas and New Year which sucked. We ended up being in bed fast asleep long before midnight on New Year's Eve. I had to work on New Year's day which was the first time in years. Surprisingly, we were really busy, despite the two shopping centres closed. I had some holidays to take so I took a much needed week off from the 9th. I went to try on some wedding dresses and managed to find mine in the second shop I visited (I've since then had a love/hate relationship with it, doubting whether I picked the right dress or not). Simon and I booked a last minute staycation at Killyhevlin Hotel in Enniskillen for a night. I had never been to Enniskillen before so it was nice to visit somewhere new. The hotel was lovely and we made good use of the swimming pool and spa, before enjoying a lovely meal in the restaurant. We then did some shopping in Enniskillen. though it wasn't very exciting. I had a lovely little break which was much needed after the craziness of working in retail at Christmas. Westlife released their first single in 7 years called Hello My Love which was so good. I was very happy to have my favourite band back again and releasing music. Simon got me started on watching all the Marvel movies from the beginning with Iron Man. I had a check up at the dentist and very much enjoyed Westlife being played in the waiting room. On one day I was off, we had our first snow fall of winter. It was so nice sitting in the office with the heater on, wrapped in a blanket, looking out at it.

Me and Simon in Killyhevlin



February
On Saturday the 2nd, Simon and I went to an 80s night at the Adair arms hotel for Charity. It was good fun. I wore a pink sequin dress with my converse as my shoes were hurting me. Simon and I also went to a Wedding fair at the Titanic centre in Belfast. It wasn't anything special and we didn't get many freebies or samples of yummy wedding cake. I continued to work away in the shop, though we were much quieter now. Simon and I didn't really celebrate Valentine's Day but he did buy me some beautiful flowers. We paid Ikea a visit which is always dangerous as we end up buying a whole pile of stuff.  We bought a few things then rejigged the living room around. I had another week off from the 24th. I went to another wedding fair at Rosspark Hotel with my sister Vera. Price William and Princess Kate visited Ballymena but sadly I didn't get to see them. Simon and I booked another little last minute staycation at The Brown Trout Inn for two nights using some Christmas money we had. I had never heard of it before but it was lovely and quaint. On the first night, we had a lovely meal at Yoko in Coleraine. We went shopping in Londonderry and had a meal in the pub in the hotel. I got my make up done by the lovely lady at the make up counter in Boots which was nice as my skin was so bad. The room we had was really nice but I wasn't overly keen on the food.

Me and Simon at Yoko in Coleraine.


March
Simon and I went and booked our wedding venue and set our date for the 30th March 2020, a year away. On the 6th it was a year since my brother Adrian died. March was a very quiet month in general with not really much happening. On the 23rd, I went to a rentable cinema with the ladies from church for Sharon's 50th birthday. The cinema is in Comber and we got to watch Pretty in Pink which I had never seen before. It was so cool. Wendy had even made us up party bags. We had drinks and snacks and the owner even gave us ice lollies too. We started watching Grey's Anatomy which I quickly became hooked on. We finished watching The After Life and Sherlock Holmes.


















The day we booked our wedding venue

April
I finally got myself registered for Race for Life which was happening in May. Kiera and I had to go and help set up one of our new stores in Templepatrick for a week. I had to drive there but it wasn't too bad. I then had to work one short shift in the store on the Saturday after it opened. I also had the Girl's brigade display which went well. I have been in the GB since I was 3 years old and I still get nervous about the displays lol. Simon and I went to see Captain Marvel in the cinema which was good but I felt it was overrated. We had also been in our house for a whole year. I went up to Belfast to meet up with Michelle and Audrey. We did some shopping, had some lunch then they came up to Ballymena so they could see one of the guys who plays for the Belfast Giants Ice Hockey team. They came out to my house and we got pizza. Simon and I went to see Avenger's Endgame in the cinema after a lovely meal at our favourite restaurant Millside. Endgame was so good. On the 20th, I had my first night out with some of the girls from work at the Pizza Parlour followed by a noisy bar. I loved the food and banter but not the bar as it was full of kids half my age. 


















Me and Simon at Cinema to see Endgame

May
May started off as a very quiet month. Simon turned 32 on the 14th, though we didn't do anything for his birthday. On the 25th, after 7 long years, I got to see my favourite band, Westlife in concert again with Zoe. They were absolutely amazing and of course I cried during You Raise Me Up. I even drove up to Belfast that day which I was very proud of. I also got to meet up with my friends Jen and Nicola who I hadn't seen in years. Before the concert, Zoe and I had a wonder around the Maritime Festival that was on. My neighbour was blasting Westlife which I approved of and which got me really excited.

 Me outside the SSE Arena and Westlife sign.


On the 26th, I took part in my second Race for life at Stormont in Belfast. I was shattered after the night before, plus it was absolutely freezing. I didn't run the 5k though, just walked it with Vera, Karen, Stephen, Mason and Ava. Zoe, Lauren and Lauren did the 10k. Afterwards, we went to McDonalds for lunch. Simon and I then had a week off together where we cleaned the house and took a trip up to the Boucher Road in Belfast for a spot of shopping. We had lunch at Eddie Rockets and bought our new sofa in DFS. We also visited the Abbey Centre. We ended our week off with a few chilled days and I purchased a new laptop. I also won a nice set of Donegal Crystal glasses for making my target in work. We finished season 5 of Grey's which had be absolutely broken.

 Race for life 

June
June came in such a flash that left me wondering where half the year had gone. I finally got around to seeing the live action Aladdin in the cinema which was really good. Sadly, I had to miss out on attending the second Enchanted Once convention in Birmingham which I was gutted about as 3 of my favourite cast were there. I missed meeting Josh, Ginny and Colin. Zoe turned 18th on the 18th so we went to the Grouse for her joint birthday meal with Kelsey who turned 21 on the 23rd July. On the 29th it was my 32nd birthday (How am I 32 already?). We get our birthdays off work which is cool. I was rudely wakened on my birthday by thunder and lightning. I went to get my nails and make up done by Claire which Simon kindly paid for. That night he took me to Frattellis for dinner. The food was lovely. We had planned to go into Gillies but cut our night short due to the torrential rain. We finished season 6 of Grey's which had be an absolute mess and I found it very hard to watch and then the musical episode happened and I was a broken human again. Simon and I got our Honeymoon booked for May 2020.

Me and Simon out for my birthday

July
I started the month off with a new positive attitude which annoyingly didn't last long. Melissa and I went to see the Westlife concert at the cinema which was live from Croke Park. It was so good and so much fun, singing and dancing along. On the 10th, I got the train up to Belfast to meet up with Simon who finished work half day. We had a quick coffee in Costa then walked into the city centre where I did a little shopping, spending my birthday money. We then had a meal at a restaurant called Am to Pm which was a birthday gift from Simon's parents. It was really nice and different. We then went to the cinema in Victoria Square to see Spiderman Far from home, using a gift voucher Simon had got from work. It was good but not as good as the first one. I missed going to Disneyland Paris again with Alison which I was gutted about. As I had two days off on the 12th and 13th, Simon and I took a little drive around the coast, stopping off for ice cream and talking about a walk around a random beach which was so windy and cold. We finished season 8 of Grey's which also broke me. I was beginning to think all the season finale's of Grey's would break me. I annoyingly took a really sore stomach due to my IBS flaring up and ended up being sent home from work one day. I had another check up at the dentist where I got my teeth cleaned. No Westlife in the waiting room this time though and I was told I needed two fillings which were going to cost a fortune. On the 22nd, I met up with Alison and Roland, who came to Ballymena for the day so Alison could give me my birthday gifts and presents from Disneyland. We were in the middle of a heatwave too. On the 23rd it was Kelsey's 21st birthday so we had a Chinese at Dad's house. Simon and I took a walk around Portglenone Forest Park on one of our Sundays off. I hadn't been there since I worked in my old primary school.  

Me and Melissa seeing Westlife at the cinema. 


August
August was a pretty quiet month for us. We started Stranger Things, season 3 but I wasn't the biggest fan of it. I felt like I spent most my time working and not doing much else. On the 12th August, I drove up to Belfast to the Odyssey cinema to see The Lion King with Alison. We got to watch it VIP style and were the only ones in the screen. I did not enjoy the drive home from Belfast at rush hour and took a wrong turn at Antrim and went for a little detour. I had another week off at the end of August which was much needed. I don't think we did very much though as the weather was rubbish. I did have to go to the dentist to get a filling replaced which wasn't fun but I listened to Westife on my phone to keep me calm. I had a bit of drama regarding my car which was annoying. Simon and I took a trip to Portrush and stopped off for lunch in Tides. The weather was rubbish and cold. Plus, we ended up going on GCSE results day which meant the restaurant was busy. On the Sunday before we went back to work, the sun was finally out so we took a trip to Antrim and went for a very long walk around the lough. 

 With Michelle and Alison before seeing The Lion King.


September
I honestly don't remember much about September which is quite sad. I probably spent my days working away, coming home, having dinner, getting changed into my pyjamas and watching television. It sort of feels like September didn't happen at all. I'm even looking through my Twitter feed to see if I can find out what I got up too. I had a doctors appointment to see about starting on the mini contraceptive pill, which I won't go into. I did get a lovely card and gift from a customer in work who I had helped by ordering some items in for her. I was very overwhelmed by her kindness. I find that it's very rare that those of us who work in retail get complimented for our good customer service. Customers would sooner send in a complaint against you than appreciate your hard work. One morning, I walked into the kitchen and an actual bird, yes, a bird, was sitting chilling on top of the taps at the sink. I screamed and it went mad, flying around the place then sat itself on the table. We don't know how it got in but it had been in the living room and had flown into the window in living room and hall. People were going mad over schools and parents banning kids from reading Harry Potter due to it being "evil!" which is absolutely insane. I will do a blog post at some point as to why it isn't. McFly finally got back together which meant both my favourite bands were now back together and releasing music. The Disney Magic ship arrived in Belfast, but sadly I wasn't hopping onto it. My poor Bertha the Fiat failed her MOT so I had to book her in for a full check up and get a lot of work done to her which cost a small fortune but thankfully she passed her MOT the second time. We got our Sky television set up which meant that after a year, we finally had actual television to watch. 

The lovely card and reed diffusers I got from a customer in work. 


October
On the 1st, I went to Milanos for pizza with Vera, Zoe and Regina which was really nice with good food and good company. That evening, it was the Ladies Lock In event in one of the shopping centres where stores all offer discounts. It was rubbish and all the shops were too busy for my liking. I did treat myself to a new pair of Adidas trainers as I needed a new pair of decent ones for work. On the 13th, Simon and I headed off to Killyhevlin in Enniskillen for two nights for our 2nd anniversary. Annoyingly, I was car sick on the way there so we stopped off at a Costa for a much needed cup of tea. We had a lovely stay again and got to use the pool, hot tub and Jacuzzi. We had a lovely meal on the first evening then went shopping the following morning at Erneside Shopping centre as the weather was rubbish. That afternoon we booked ourselves in for a lovely full body massage which was fantastic. That evening, we had a lovey meal in a restaurant in the town. On the 15th, it was me and Simon's 2nd anniversary and a year since he popped the question. Finally it looked like same sex marriage would be made legal in Northern Ireland, along with a change in the abortion laws here. Though our politicians haven't been to work in about 3 years. "rolls eyes". I had a very busy week starting on the 22nd. On the 23rd, I got Lisa to do my nails for me. Then on the 24th it was the Ballymena Business Awards where my work was nominated for a customer service award. I got all glammed up with the other ladies from work. Sadly, we didn't win but to be a finalist after only being opened a year was fantastic. The food was nice but we ended up all leaving before the party began as the awards went on far too long. On the 25th, Simon and I went to another one of my fave restaurants for my cousin Donna's 50th birthday. I had a lovely evening with good food. Then on the Saturday, Simon and I went to get flu jabs for the first ever time.  Thankfully I didn't have reaction to the injection.
Me and Simon at Killyhevlin
 Business awards

November
One on Saturday off, Simon and I took Dad up to Coleman's Garden Centre. Dad treated us to lunch but we didn't buy anything. I was not too impressed about Christmas music being played so early. I had a week off from the 11th. I spent the first two days having some much needed "me time" where I chilled out, did some house work and got caught up on some Youtube and Grey's Anatomy. Simon had stopped watching it so I was watching it on my own now. On Wednesday the 13th, I went to Belfast to meet up with Alison. We did some shopping then had dinner at Pizza Hut which was so tasty. We then went to see Mrs Doubtfire in the Odyssey cinema with Michelle and Ruth. Simon came and picked me up afterwards as I had gotten the train up to Belfast. Simon was off with me on the Thursday and Friday. We had a chill out day on the Thursday, though I had to go into work that evening as it was our first birthday and we were doing a One Night Only and I was doing the music. It was strange being in work and not focusing on customer service or sales. On the Friday, Simon and I went a drive to Antrim but it was rubbish. The only thing I bought, was the new Westlife album which was constantly being played in the car. I was back to work on Monday the 19th after my week off. It was full steam ahead and very busy in the run up to Christmas. I was constantly shattered and people just seemed to be more demanding and ruder. 

Us in the Cinema


December
I couldn't believe December was here already. It had come around so quickly. We were treated to a yummy subway platter in work. Simon and I put our Christmas tree up on the 1st December. I continued to work my socks off and we began opening late nights. I really appreciated my days off, where I could chill out and relax. I got the rest of my Christmas shopping done. On Friday 13th, after work, I jumped on the train to Belfast to go and meet up with Simon who was on his work Christmas party at Ten Square hotel. I got to meet his work mates and had a few drinks. We then visited the Christmas market to get some food. We had garlic fries and grilled cheese sandwiches. However, we had to eat and run as we needed to catch our train home. Simon had me running to the station with my sandwich in my freezing hands. We made the train with time to spare. Dad picked us up at the station as both of us had been drinking. On Saturday 14th, Alison came up to visit so we could swap presents. We met in Costa and got a hot drink and treat. I headed home to get ready for my work Christmas dinner which was at the Grouse with Kiera, Melissa and Lisa. I had a really good night with good food and good company. On the Sunday, we had a really busy day in work as we did sale preparation for our sale starting. On Saturday 21st, Simon and I decided to go to Belfast really early, arriving before 9am. We stopped off at Cafe Nero and visited shops as they opened. The Christmas market didn't open until 10am so we went to it once it had opened. It wasn't overly exciting but we got some mini pancakes with chocolate and cinnamon. I also got some garlic fries while Simon got a hot dog. I also picked up a pick n mix which was very overpriced. We left Belfast just as it was starting to get really busy and were home by 1pm. On Christmas eve, Simon and I went to visit my family then went to Belfast to visit his. On Christmas Day, we had a very chilled out day, opened our presents and took the day easy. I cooked breakfast and Simon cooked us a yummy dinner. I had to work on Boxing day but we weren't busy at all. My end to 2019, was not very exciting at all. Simon and I both were fast asleep in bed long before midnight. 


Comments