The Top Movies I saw in the Cinema in 2019

Sadly, I didn't get to go to the cinema as much as I would have liked in 2019 but I did get to see a few movies. So I thought I'd rate them in order from worst (well not worst but my least favourite) to the best one I saw.

6) Captain Marvel 
There was so much hype surrounding Captain Marvel when it came out that I was hoping for big things, especially it being the first solo female Marvel movie. It was good and I love seeing a strong female lead character but it just didn't live up to the hype for me. It will be interesting to see what Marvel do with her character next. 

Rating: 6/10

5) Spiderman: Far From Home
I loved Spiderman: Homecoming. It's one of my favourite Marvel movies so I was looking forward to Far From Home. Sadly, I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. I adore Tom Holland as Spidey and I think he brings something fresh and lovable about the character. I also really like Zendaya since I saw her in The Greatest Showman.  I did not, however enjoy Jake Gyllenhaal as Mysterio, nor this villain in general. I think Mysterio is one of my least favourite. I hate those villains who gain their enemy's trust then take advantage of that, especially when the hero is a teenage boy who is supposed to be enjoying a school trip with his mates. Tom is a fantastic actor who did brilliantly in all the Marvel movies he has appeared in and I can't wait to see where he takes Spiderman in the future....if there will be more movies. (as far as I'm aware, Sony has put a stop to this).
Rating: 7/10.


4) Avengers: Endgame
I only started watching the Marvel movies at the end of 2018. Simon and I started on Iron Man and worked our way through them all, in order. I quickly became a fan of the movies despite the fact I'm not the biggest fan of superhero movies. I think it was down to the good story writing, the lovable characters and cast and the amazing technology used in the movies. I like a good, good versus evil storyline with hopefully the good guys winning which is why the ending of Infinity War was such a shock to the system and I couldn't wait to see Endgame. I had very high expectations for the movie while being worried about whether my favourite: Captain America would survive. Did it live up to the expectations? Or fail to do so like Captain Marvel and Spiderman? Thankfully, it lived up to my expectations and it was fantastic. I did shed a few tears at a certain character's death and squealed when Captain America caught Thor's hammer. I loved seeing all the Marvel characters coming together to fight the big fight at the end. It was also good to see what happened to the surviving characters after the snap in Infinity War. I'm not the biggest fan of time travel and find it rather confusing but thankfully I found Endgame easy to follow and wasn't confused at all.
Rating: 8.5

Me and Simon at Endgame


3) Aladdin Live Action
I always worry when Disney decide to make a Live Action movie. I loved Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland and Beauty and the Beast but I really disliked The Jungle Book. Aladdin is one of my childhood favourite Disney movies but I also understand things may have to change to make the movie more current. Aladdin was fantastic. They managed to stick closely to the original storyline and they included all the original songs. I loved the new song Jasmine sang called Speechless which is such a powerful song which I felt fitted perfectly in the movie. The casting of Aladdin and Jasmine were perfect too. Everyone seemed to be worried about Will Smith playing Genie and that is understandable as it can't be easy following in the late Robin Williams footsteps but I think he did an amazing job.
Rating: 9


2) The Lion King Live Action
The Lion King is one of my all time favourite Disney movies. It was the first movie I ever seen in the cinema and I still remember going to see it with the school my Mum worked in. I went to see it in the VIP cinema at the Odyssey in Belfast with my friend Alison. We had comfy reclining chairs and there was only 3 people in our screen. So what did I think? I thought it was blooming amazing and they did such a fantastic job of keeping the storyline the same as the animated movie. I loved the little Beauty and the beast nod in it too. It was very nostalgic and took me back to my childhood. I also cried at certain parts. They did leave out the "The past can hurt, but the way I see it, you can either run from it or learn from it." Rafiki quote which I found strange as it's such a powerful quote. The Lion King was my favourite movie I saw in the cinema in 2019 and you'll see why it just missed out on the top spot.
Rating: 9.5


Drum roll please for the top movie I saw in 2019 which managed to beat The Lion King to the top spot......


1) Westlife: Live At Croke Park in Dublin
Ok, so this isn't a movie but watching a concert live in the cinema. Some might argue that this doesn't deserve to be in my top 6 but I got to see my favourite band's concert in the cinema so in my opinion, it deserves to be number 1. Maybe I should change the name of this countdown to my top cinema trips rather than movies..
Westlife have been my favourite band since 2001 and I've been to see them on every single tour since then. I was absolutely devastated when they split up in 2012 and I was lucky enough to see them at their last concert at Croke Park in Dublin. I was so excited when they announced their reunion in 2018 and I was lucky enough to see them on their Twenty Tour in Belfast in May 2019 with my niece Zoe. It was absolutely amazing and one of my favourite Westlife concerts. When Melissa I work with asked me if I wanted to go and see it in the cinema, I jumped at the chance to see it again. My local cinema was sold out so I booked us tickets to see it in the Antrim one. It was amazing and so much fun singing and dancing along in the cinema. Though, this didn't impress some people who were sat acting like they were at the opera and giving us dirty looks which was annoying. I still had the best time though. Who wouldn't enjoy seeing their favourite band's concert in the cinema? Well, you'd obviously wish you were actually at the concert but seeing in the cinema is still amazing and that is why it is number 1 on my list.
 




Comments