My Look Back at 2020

 

My Look Back at 2020

2020 was supposed to be our year. We had so many big things planned for the year from our wedding and honeymoons, but a massive global pandemic had other ideas. If you had told me back in January that the world would have gone into lockdown due to a deadly virus, I don’t think anyone would have believed it. We all hoped things would have calmed down by Autumn but as we start 2021 in lockdown yet again with no idea when it'll be lifted.

January
Simon and I brought 2020, fast asleep long before midnight. I had to work on New Years Day. Simon and I were excited about our wedding which was supposed to be in March but back in January, we didn't even think we would have to postpone it. I purchased a new camera to use on our honeymoons. I had a lovely week off which was so nice after the craziness of Christmas. I went to Junction One to meet up with Alison one of the days and I did a few things for our wedding. I finally left my wedding dress in to get fixed. I also had to purchase new bridesmaid dresses for Vera and Zoe. January was a bit of a blur to be honest.

February
February started with the first of my two hen dos with all the ladies in my life, at my favourite restaurant. I had a really good evening and had Westlife's Uptown Girl played for me at the bar we went too after the meal. I continued to work away and get stuff sorted out for our wedding. On the 28th, I had a dentist appointment then Simon and I enjoyed breakfast at Kitchen16 which is a cafe near where we lived. We then spent the rest of the day in Belfast. It was so quiet despite being payday. I had my very first Wagamammas that day too. This was when Covid started to spread. On the 29th I had my 2nd hen do which was organised by the girls from work and was Disney themed at the Highline restaurant. It was such a lovely night with the four girls from work. We even had Minnie Mouse ears which we ended up wearing over to the bar across the street. 




March
March was the month were we were supposed to be getting married. On the 1st, we had our last meeting with our wedding venue. We continued to get everything sorted for our wedding. The seriousness of covid19 was showing and things began to close. We picked up our wedding rings and I got my engagement ring all cleaned up. Our minimoon to Amsterdam got cancelled which was understandable and we got a full refund too. Simon introduced me to some 80s movies I hadn't watched before such as Top Gun and Ghostbusters. On the 17th March, Claire came over and did our make up trial then we went to Karen's to get our hair done. Schools closed with many businesses closing. Girl's Brigade was stopped too. Sadly, hotels had to close too and our wedding had to be postponed. To say I was devastated was an understatement. We were so close to it as well. My work closed from the 23rd March which was also the day a national lockdown was announced across the UK. Disney+ could not have launched at a better time, the day after lockdown was announced. I got stuck straight in to watching the Imagineer Story. We should have been getting married on the 30th but sadly that didn't happen. Instead, I was stuck in the house watching Disney+ and cooking. I was a proper little house wife now. I also started rebuilding all my jigsaws.

April
Lockdown continued across the UK. Simon was working from home while I was furloughed. I was getting used to life at home. We were supposed to go to Amsterdam on the 30th for three days but sadly that was cancelled. Instead, I cooked, cleaned, binge watched a lot of television, and baked banana bread. I even started walking around my village to get some fresh air and a little exercise. Easter came and went but we still had Easter eggs to enjoy. We re-booked our wedding for October 22nd in the hope that it would go ahead. I finally got to see Frozen2 which was so good. We had some lovely weather which meant I could sit out in the sun and enjoy going for walks around my village. I even started doing a morning work out every morning but it didn't last very long lol. 

May
Lockdown continued which none of us were expecting but it didn't appear to be lifting anytime soon. I was enjoying watching all the classic Disney movies on Disney+. I also started watching Station19 which is the sister program to Grey's Anatomy which was really good. Season 15 of Grey's finally went onto Amazon Prime which I ended up binge watching. We had some beautiful weather which made lockdown easier. Simon introduced me to the Star Wars movies. On the 12th we were supposed to be jetting off on our honeymoon Mediterranean cruise but sadly, that was cancelled too. On the 14th it was Simon's birthday and as luck would have it, our favourite restaurant had just started doing take aways. It did take me 40 minutes to get through. We started watching Community. I braved my first supermarket as Simon always did the food shops. On the 28th, I ventured out to the Ecos Centre to have a socially distanced meet up with Melissa and the kids. It was an absolutely glorious day. Sadly, we had some bad news when I got home; our landlord was giving us 3 months to get out of the house. I was gutted and really not what we needed. There were hardly any decent houses up for rent.

June
Simon and I made the decision to move in with my Dad for the time being as we couldn't find a decent house to rent. Before I started work again on the 8th, I began giving my stuff a good clear out. This meant going through every single photo album and getting rid of all the rubbish photos and boxing up the ones I wanted to keep. I also went to my Dad's a day to give my old room a good clear out too. I went back to work on the 8th for three weeks. We were split into two groups. Four of us started on the 8th and the other 4 on the 29th. It felt so good to be back to work again but slightly worrying at the same time. On my day's off, I was sorting out our house and getting ready to move into Dad's. Simon managed to paint my old room to get rid of the pink walls. I started watching the last season of 13 Reasons Why which was so much better than season 3. Other non-essential shops started to open again. The 24th June was the last day in our house. We moved into Dad's on the 25th which appeared to be the hottest day of the year. It was such a busy day with a lot of driving back and forward, moving stuff. Simon and his Dad had to take stuff to the storage locker where we were storing all our furniture.  I had my last shift in work on the 27th for two weeks. I celebrated my 33rd birthday on the 29th with a quick trip into town and watching Tangled.

 Our room at my Dad's

July
I was off until the 13th July which was nice but strange as we were now living at my Dad's house. I didn't really get up to much and the time seemed to fly in. As the shops and everything had started to open up again, it did mean I could go into town which was quite nice. McFly announced their long awaited come back and I was so happy to have one of my favourite bands back again. We decided to move our wedding again to March 2021 in the hope that it would actually be able to go ahead. Simon and I took a little drive to Portrush but didn't really stay long. We went for a walk around the town but that was about it. I took a trip to Ikea with Vera and Zoe to get a few bits for our room at Dad's. I was off again from the 20th and went to get my hair cut and coloured on the 21st which was very nice and a pleasant experience. On the 31st, Simon and I went on a little staycation to Curran Court Hotel in Larne for two nights. It was a much needed little treat for us. The hotel was so nice with the most amazing shower and massive bed. We visited Carnfunnick, Glenarm Castle and drove around the coast. 
 My new darker, shorter hair

August
We checked out of our hotel on our 2nd and headed home. We were going go to Glenarif Forest Park but by the time I got home, I began feeling sick and the weather turned nasty. Masks became mandatory in shops. I was happy to see most people wearing them in my town. I had to start wearing a mask in work too which was strange at first. I was on and off work on furlough throughout August which was confusing. Some weeks I wasn't doing my full hours. It was strange having so much time off. My days off seemed to disappear. We went to view our first house which we absolutely loved but sadly we didn't get it. I was thoroughly enjoying not having to work Sundays which turned out to be a lazy day for Simon and I. I found out that my hours in work were going to be cut but I'd have to interview for one of the smaller contracts which I was dreading. 

September
On the 5th I had the hygienist at the dentist which I was so worried about. Thankfully it went fine. New restrictions came into force but honestly, they didn't really do much good. My Fiat 500, Bertha went in for a service but got the bad news that it would need over £300 worth of work done to it. I made the difficult decision to try and sell it. We paid off the last of my car finance on the Fiat. On Monday 14th I was on another week off work. I had a bit of a breakdown due to all the crap that was happening. It seemed to be one thing after the other. I pulled myself together so that Vera and I could go and see a car in Newtonabbey. I fell in love with the blue Vauxhall viva and I began the process of purchasing it. They were willing to take my Fiat too which was good. I also had my interview for the 16 hour contract in work. It was such a hot day too so I was sweating buckets. Thankfully I got to keep my job. I had the doctors on the 18th to get my blood pressure and weight checked but they couldn't get my pulse rate to drop. Probably because I rushed to the doctors straight from work. Simon and I went out on a huge walk around our area a few times which absolutely killed my poor legs. We started watching Lucifer which I thoroughly enjoyed. Upgraded my phone to a Huawei P30 Pro but changed from O2 to EE. We also went to visit a cute little bungalow in the countryside.

October
At the start of October, we found out that we had got the house - the cute bungalow in the country. We agreed to move in during our week off from the 12th. We had to visit the housing people to sign some forms then we went to our new house to meet with the landlords to sign some forms for them too. We began moving in on the 10th October after we got the keys. On Monday 12th, Simon went to Belfast to pick up his Dad and the removal van. I went to Newtonabbey with Vera to pick up my brand new car, a blue Vauxhall Viva. I was gutted to be saying 'goodbye' to Bertha by Fiat 500 but excited to get my new car. We had a very busy moving day as I had to go to Dad's and pack up my new car to take stuff out to the house. Simon and Wes were packing up the van with our stuff from the storage unit. There was a lot of driving back and forward. That evening, Simon had dinner at his Mum's so I had dinner at my Dad's then took more stuff out to the house. The rest of our week off was spent getting our new house into order. We paid Ikea a visit to get some stuff too. On the Saturday I pulled a muscle in my stomach which really hurt. On the 15th it was me and Simon's 3rd anniversary. On the 22nd, it was meant to be our second attempt at getting married but thankfully we moved the wedding to March 2021 and it was a good job we did as hotels ended up closing again. The rest of October was spent working and getting our house into shape. Our new bed and Simon's new desk finally arrived. McFly were finally back and released new music. We finished watching Lucifer. We started watching Battlestar Galatica which I thoroughly enjoyed.

November
November started off not great with me having a really bad day with high anxiety and everything felt like it was going wrong. First the heel of my favourite boots broke in work then I dropped a salt lamp and a box of socks down the stairs and then the ticket barrier in the car park hated me. Trump lost the 2020 election which was fantastic news. I finally built my Tangled jigsaw which I purchased a frame for. Simon bought me a new tablet for Christmas and I became addicted to Happy Colour.  We really got stuck into watching Battlestar. I finally got to see Alison for the first time since my hen do, when we went to deliver her birthday and Christmas presents. I ended up putting our Christmas tree up early as everyone seemed to be doing it. I managed to get most of my Christmas shopping done too online. Northern Ireland went into a two week circuit breaker lockdown but my work stayed open. I was really struggling to deal with rude customers. 

December
I continued working away through the two week lockdown. We were actually quite busy. We spent our evenings watching Battlestar Galactical. It was very strange not having the crazy Christmas rush but I quite liked the quietness, especially as we were low on staff. I had the hygienist on the 12th which was my day off. As we had finished Battlestar, we started This Is Us again and we got hooked on it. Some of the episodes were hard to watch. A six week lockdown was announced for Northern Ireland again from Christmas Eve. This time my work was closing, although we were going to get Boxing Day and the 27th December off anyways. People were really annoying me with their lack of respect and being so rude. I was working a crazy amount as we were so short staffed. I was absolutely shattered all the time. My last shift was Christmas Eve then we headed out to see my Dad and Vera to deliver Christmas presents. Christmas was very quiet but lovely. Simon and I spent days in our pyjamas, watching movies and eating loads of yummy food. Simon cooked us a huge Irish fry up for breakfast on Christmas morning after we opened out presents. We then had a yummy dinner later in the day. It was so nice having several days off and not having to worry about working Boxing day and having to put up with rude customers demanding refunds and giving us abuse. Our New years eve was very quiet too. I think we were both in bed before midnight.








 


Comments