Results day

We've all been there, haven't we? May it be waiting on our transfer test/11+ results in primary school to see what secondary school/grammar school we got in to, to getting our GCSE results in secondary school. Then you have the A-level results or uni/college results too depending on what you do after leaving school.

I left school at 16 after completing my GCSEs as my secondary school had really rubbish subjects for a-level. There was no point in me staying on for 2 more years in 6th form doing subjects that weren't going to benefit me in any way. In my eyes, staying on would be a huge waste of 2 years of my life when I could go to college and get qualified in a field that I wanted to work in. 

So off I went to the North Regional College and completed a diploma in child care and education for 2 years which was the equivalent of 3 a-levels. I then went on and did the advanced diploma in child care and education which was the equivalent to the first year at Uni. I passed both my courses and even did key skills in ICT and application of number (maths with a fancy name). 

Being at college rather than school was much better in my opinion. We didn't have to wear a uniform for a start. Plus, I was only in class 3 days a week with two days being in a placement in a nursery or primary school. This meant I gained important experience in working with children. In school you only get around 2 weeks work experience. You also have more freedom as well (which could be a bad thing). 

After college I didn't even go to Uni. I just wasn't interested in it, it just wasn't for me. I had enough qualifications to get me a job in a primary school as a classroom assistant so why would I waste my time and money on going to Uni? I also wasn't interested in the uni lifestyle either. I think there is far too much pressure on teenagers to go to university after school. Some people have the attitude that if you don't go to university, you're a failure. 

Although I'm currently working in retail in a clothes shop, I have worked in my old primary school for 2 1/2 years. 

Just remember that if you don't get the results you (or your parents) wanted, it's not the end of the world. If you don't get back into school to do your a-levels it's also not the end of the world either. Apply for a vocational course at your local college and get qualifications in something that interests you and gain some experience in something you want to do a career. 

And also: do NOT let anyone, especially your parents push you doing anything. Remember  this is your life and it should be what YOU want to do with it. But if you do fail do not think that you can't do anything because you can! Most college courses accept students with no GCSE or a-level results and can let you resist the important ones. I had to do application of number cos I got a D in my maths GCSE.

Comments