Acne and Me



So I came across a video on Facebook and it upset me to see a beautiful young women targeted because of her skin. Because of the comments she felt the need to cover up with heavy make up but even then the hate and online abuse continued.

The reason why it upset me was because I've been in her shoes. I've suffered from bad acne for the past 10 or more years. It wasn't just pimples or black heads, these spots I had, were large, red and very painful. I tried everything to get rid of them but nothing seemed to work until I got sent to my local skin clinic and put onto a tablet called roactine which although cleared them up, I was left with scars on my face. Then over the years and even now, I get spots and painful red ones at that. They don't seem to completely disappear so I'm left with marks and scarring.

It really affected my confidence at a time when I should have been enjoying my life in my late teens and early 20s. I hated the thought of leaving the house and had a very low self esteem. I did try and cover it up with make up but nothing seemed to work. I'm not a fan of wearing heavy make up anyways. Even now, I still can't properly cover up my scars, spots and marks but why should I feel like I have to do so? Why should people with bad acne feel like we have to hide away from the world or put up with abuse from small minded idiots? 

Why do people think it's acceptable to watch videos on YouTube and send the owner abuse because of how they look? Does it really make those abusers feel better about themselves? I will never understand why people feel the need to do this! If you don't like something or someone, don't watch their videos or follow their blogs or social media accounts! Spend your time following things that you are interested in! Words can hurt and saying nasty things about people's insecurities can be the worst words of them all.

I decided to post up photos of myself without make up on just to show you what my skin is like. I've finally been able to embrace that I'm never going to have flawless clear skin or ever be spot free. I can now go out without wearing make up , although wearing a little does make me feel better and gives me more confidence . I don't wear make up to impress anyone other than myself. I'm not going to cake myself in heavy make up either to "impress" anyone. If people don't like how I look when I feel good about myself then tough. 


 This is my skin at the moment. As you can see I've got a bad break out on my cheek. I also have a scar on my chin from having a bad boil there last year as well as some spots on my forehead.


 Here's another one of me all natural. I don't even have my hair fixed in this either.


 Not the best photo of my make up. I don't really wear a lot anyway but I thought it looked good today.

Another one of my make up today.

The moral of this post is that people need to cut those of us who suffer from acne or skin conditions some slack. And also people need to think before you say something nasty to someone online.

"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!" 

NOTE: wearing make up does not cause spots or bad acne!!

Comments