Visiting a Hairdresser

Like most of the country, after 11+ weeks on lock down, I was in desperate need of visiting a hair dresser. I had held off from getting my hair cut and coloured before lock down as I was supposed to get married in March so I didn't want to cut my hair or colour it. I had planned on cutting my hair after the wedding. Sadly, that didn't happen so my hair had got so long. Annoyingly, a lot of grey hairs had sprouted out of nowhere above my ear which was so noticeable when I tied my hair back. 

This was how long my hair was before.


Usually, I would get my cousin Karen to cut and colour my hair but she wasn't due to go back to work. I decided to take the bull by the horns and try and get an appointment at a local hairdressers. My town is not short of hairdressers but trying to decide which one to go too. I opted for one that I knew of as my friend used to have a nail bar there. I managed to get an appointment for Tuesday 21st July. It worked out well as I was off on Furlough again that week. I had to nip into the hairdressers to get a skin allergy test done. I assume it was because I had never had my hair done by that hairdressers before. It was a very quick process where the girl putting a small amount of hair dye behind my left ear. If I had any irritation, I had to let them know but thankfully, I didn't. I did manage to get dye onto my pillow though which I couldn't get out. 

I was quite nervous about getting my hair done in an actual hairdressers as I was so used to having my cousin do my hair at home. I can't even remember the last time I got my hair done i in an actual hairdressers. I was even more nervous because of the Covid-19 situation and all the new rules and safety regulations in place.  

 My hair on the day before getting it cut and coloured.

My appointment was at 2:30pm. I headed into town to do a few messages first. I had about an hour to kill before my appointment. I then went to the hairdressers about 15 minutes early. It was very quiet with four members of staff. I had to wait in the little waiting room. I was the only one which was fine. All the staff we wearing plastic face shields. There were bottles of hand sanitiser sitting on all the tables and one right at the till area. I think I waited about 10 minutes. I put on my mask as soon as I sat down. At first, I found it quite uncomfortable, especially because it was really warm. I soon got used to it though. The girl asked me what I was wanting done which was a cut and colour. She brought over the colours and suggested one similar to my own with a hint of a darker one which worked for me.  She then went away and mixed my colour for me. I noticed the other customers were all wearing masks. I then got the colour put on and the girl chatted away to me. I find this very awkward when visiting a hair dressers. I hate trying to make small talk with people I don't know. It's even harder when you're wearing a mask and quiet spoken like I am. I did overhear one of the other hair dressers, saying that he has to change into his mask after a few hours of wearing the plastic visor as the lights glaring on the visor gives him a really sore head.   Once my colour was applied, I had to wait for a while for it to take. This was quite boring as I didn't really know what to do. I had a quick look at my phone. I had an annoying piece of hair that kept tickling my right ear. I had dye on my hands from pushing it out of the way constantly. 

One thing I noticed was that we weren't offered cups of tea or drinks like you usually would. Not that I minded, as I was boiling. I did wish I had took a drink of my bottle of water though as I was parched by the time I was finished. I then went over to the sink to get my hair washed. I love this part. I did find my neck hurting a lot though. I loved getting my hair washed and found it so relaxing. It was so nice when she massaged my head putting the conditioner on. 

I then went back to my original seat to await getting my hair dried and cut. First, she cut my hair. I got a good 5 inches cut off it. She then dried my hair, straightened it and then styled the front of it. I loved it, though it was a lot shorter than I was used too. 

In total, it cost me £60 but it was completely worth it. I had a really good experience that wasn't scary or didn't make me anxious at all. Wearing a mask didn't bother me either. I definitely will go back to that hairdressers again and get my hair done there. I'm quite lucky with my hair colour that I don't have to colour it every couple of months, I can do it once a year.  I did end up coming out of the hairdressers with dye on my face lol.  I do really like the length of it but I have until March for it to grow long again for the wedding. 

So here is my new hair
 

Comments