What to pack in your Hospital Bag

When I was figuring out what I needed in my hospital bag for going in to give birth, I really had no idea other than the obvious. There are so many lists on the Internet that can be helpful but overwhelming at the same time.

When it comes to packing your Hospital bag, it all depends on a few important things:

* Your own personal needs

* The type of birth you are planning on having.

* If you are going in for an induction or elective C-section.

* How long you're going to be in hospital for. 

I'm going to split this list into different sections; clothing, toiletries and baby items. Please remember this was the essential items I took into hospital with me and everyone might be different. So let's start off with what to wear when going into hospital.

1) Comfortable clothing
I cannot stress enough how important comfortable clothing is when you're going in to have your baby, especially if you're already in labour and having regular contractions. You'll want to be as comfortable as possible. To be honest, in the last few weeks of pregnancy, comfort will be key anyways. I would also recommend old clothing too and perhaps cheap and cheerful too. You don't want to be rocking up to hospital in a pair of Gucci jeans that may potentially get ruined by your waters breaking, bleeding or other bodily fluids. One of the midwifes on my zoom antenatal classes kept mentioning about Primark t-shirts you've had for years. I opted for an old pair of grey joggers my niece gave me, a loose fitting t-shirt from Next, fluffy Regatta jumper and a white strappy top from Primark. At home, I wore my slippers but changed into my old Adidas trainers. Once I got to the hospital, I stripped down to the strappy top and socks. Socks are so important as your feet will be freezing. Apparently that's normal while in labour. I always wear socks, even in summer as I hardly ever wear sandals. The ward was roasting warm so I was fine in a strappy vest top. It was old, faded and I didn't care that it got covered in blood when baby was handed to me. It and the socks ended up in the bin. Pick clothing you don't mind getting ruined or binned afterwards. Would recommend joggers, leggings, pyjama bottoms or shorts if it's a warm day with a old loose fitting t-shirt or tank top. 

2) Pyjamas or nightdress
This again will be personal preference. Maternity wards tend to be quite warm, so you might want to avoid thick, fluffy pyjamas. If you're planning on breast feeding, you'll want something that has buttons down the front so it's easy access for feeding. I got a pair of black pyjamas from Primark for £14 that buttoned down the front of the shirt. Black was an ideal colour due to the amount of bleeding afterwards. Opt for a soft, light material but in dark colours.

3) Big pants (several pairs) 
The last thing you're gonna want to wear after giving birth is a lacy thong. Big comfortable granny knickers will be your best friend (mine still are 19 weeks later). I got a pack of 4 black full briefs from Primark for £4. Again, I went for a dark colour due to the bleeding. They may not be the sexiest but they are so comfortable. I went out and bought myself another packet of them in a different colour, I liked them that much. Again, you don't need to break the bank when it comes to underwear, especially if there's a risk they might be soiled with blood. Stay away from lacy fabrics or pants you don't mind binning if they get ruined. 

4) Slippers
I took slippers with me to wear around the hospital. I saw other women wear crocs, sliders and flip flops so any type of comfortable footwear for walking around the wards as you don't want to be bare foot. I didn't have any swelling in my feet so my slippers were fine. I like the ballet pump type slippers from Next. Ok, they're  probably a bit pricey for hospital at £12 but they're my fave type of slippers and I've gone through several pairs of them in recent years. I practically live in them at the moment while I'm at home.

5) Dressing Gown
I didn't actually use mine as the ward was so warm and the furthest I went was to the bathroom. But a dressing gown or hoodie/jumper comes in handy if you want to take a walk outside for some fresh air or to stretch your legs while you're in hospital. Some wards might be a bit chillier than others. I found the little room I had of my own for a short time was a lot cooler than the shared ward. 

6) Bras
If you are breast feeding, you'll want to invest in a nursing bra. If not, you'll want a comfortable bra as your breasts will be uncomfortable, sore and swollen. My choice here would be Primark's t-shirt bras which are about £2.50 or a soft sports bra. I did make the mistake of ordering lace nursing bras from Asda (£9 for 2) and they were horrible, so uncomfortable and impossible to open. Once I stopped breast feeding, they went in the bin. Lace and sore breasts are not a good mix. You could go bra less but chances are your breasts will be leaking so a bra might offer some protection. I hate going bra less so it was a must for me. My breasts didn't leak at all due to milk issues but they were still sore and tender. 

7) Clothes for leaving hospital
Leaving hospital with your new baby is not a fashion show so you do not need to look like Princess Kate or a Hollywood movie star when you're heading home. Comfort is yet again the key here. You're going to be sore and you're going to be bleeding heavily. Dark colours and comfortable, soft materials will be your best friend. I opted for navy LA Gear joggers from Sports Direct (£8), loose fitting Primark top (£2.50) and my Regatta fleece. Leggings were a huge No from me too as I didn't want people to see my massive nappy sized sanitary towel bulging through the material. I also hate leggings, unless under a skirt or dress. This is obviously personal preference ladies so wear what you want too. If you want to look like Kate Middleton, you go girl! Just maybe stay clear of white skinny jeans and high heels lol. What you wear when leaving the hospital will also depend on the time of year too. 

***********

Now onto the toiletries. I had a full wash bag but didn't use half the stuff I had packed. 

1) Sanitary pads
The bigger the better. I used Boots maxi pads and they were the best ones and were only 90p. You can't have too many of them either. You will bleed a lot afterwards so these are a necessity. I found myself changing my pad every hour. Tampons aren't recommend as there's a huge risk of infection with them. 

2) Body wash/face wash/wash cloth 
You'll be allowed to have a shower after you give birth, depending on the type of birth you had. I'd opt for a fragrance free, sensitive skin body wash in case it irrites you. If you've got stitches, you'll have to keep them dry. I definitely needed a shower as I covered in all types of bodily fluid. The first shower, always feel awkward though, especially when you're dripping blood everywhere. 

3) Hair brush/hair accessories
A hair band and bobbles to keep your hair out of your face while birthing. I didn't wash my hair until I got home but kept it tied back. If you're going to be in hospital for several days, dry shampoo might be a good idea. 

4) Breast pads and nipple cream
Even if you're not planning on breast feeding, your breasts will properly leak so breast pads will keep your bra or clothing clean. If you do breast feed, you might find that your breasts end up painful, red and cracked. I used lansinoh cream on mine. 

5) Hand cream
Apparently hospitals can make your hands dry but I had no experience of this but its always good to pack some hand cream just to be on the safe side. I always carry some with me anyways. 

6) Lipbalm
To keep your lips hydrated as they can get quite dry during birth too. I opted for Nivea hydration lip balm. 

7) Toothbrush and Toothpaste
I have to brush my teeth twice a day so this was a must for me. I hate not having my teeth brushed. I got a travel sized toothpaste to take with me. I also got a plastic case to put my toothbrush into. 

Baby Items

1) Nappies
2) Wipes
3) Nappy sacks
4) Sleepsuits ( About 4)
5) Vests (about 4)
6) Going home outfit
7) Coat/Jacket
8) Blanket
9) Dummies
10) Hat/ Mittens/socks
11) Bottles/formula feed if not breast feeding

Misalliance items

1) Phone/ Phone charger/ headphones
To keep you in contact with loved ones, take photos, listen to music, surf the internet or use to watch videos. Headphones so the other women on your ward don't hear your music, videos etc. Most hospitals now have free WiFi so if you're in hospital for a few days before baby is born you can watch your fave movies or television shows. Get that oxytocin flowing. 

2) Book, E-reader, colouring book or puzzle book
To keep you entertained while in labour or during induction. Don't forget the pens if you've got a puzzle book or colouring book. Colouring books are very relaxing. 

3) Tablet
Same as above. I am addicted to the Happy Colour app. 

4) Mini fan
To keep you cool.

5) Snacks and drink
To give you energy during labour and as a little treat after. Especially welcome if you've had gestational diabetes. A water bottle to keep you hydrated. Some hospitals will recommend a sports drink to give you energy. I only had water due to my gestational diabetes. 

6) Blanket/ Pillow
For home comforts and to help with oxytocin and to make you as comfortable as possible.

This is some of the things I'd recommend to bring with you. 


Comments